Hello Volunteer Ambassadors!
And welcome to 2012. This year, well, this is going to be a big one. WABA is ramping it up, busting it loose, mixing its metaphors and making sure that everyone who rides a bike is safe, happy and informed. We've got a lot planned--and even though most of it is going to have to wait for some better weather, we Ambassadors won't let a little snow, cold, wind and darkness keep us down!
Winter is slower than the rest of the year, instead of 3 or 4 events a week, we have 3 or 4 events a month. But we make up in quality what we lack in quantity, right? Right? That's what I thought.
Still no word on the light giveaways for the winter/spring. As soon as I know, you'll know.
To RSVP for events, you simply check this link every week.
Hope you all had a great holiday season!
DC Bike Ambassador
Upcoming Events & Ambassador Opportunities
Events Sign-Up Page
2012 Ride for Responsibility - More info & sign-up here.
Saturday, January 21st, 9:30am
18th St. & Columbia Rd. NW
WABA Got Lights Giveaways
To Be Announced
Everywhere until we run out of lights.
News & Updates
DCBA Info Packets - TEMPORARILY OUT OF STOCK
An easy way to put some DCBA in your day. Stop by the office, grab an Info Packet, and keep bike education materials handy.
Some ideas for Ambassadors to do outreach on their own:
- Head to your local bike shop & attend their events as an Ambassador.
- Talk to other cyclists in your workplace & make yourself available as a resource.
- Team up with other ambassadors & canvas a bike lane, commuter route or trail.
- Engage with cyclists at red lights & hand out maps, etc. on your commute.
The packets will be available at the WABA office (2599 Ontario Rd. NW) anytime during business hours. If you need to come by after (or before) business hours, just let me know.
January DCBA Happy Hour
When: Friday, January 27th, from 5:30pm to 7:30pm
Where: The Blaguard, 2003 18th St. NW
The official DCBA Happy Hour is (usually) held on the last Friday of every month. No RSVPs necessary, just show up. Look for me in the "DC BIKE AMBASSADOR" shirt.
January New Ambassador Orientation
New Ambassador Orientations will be during the last week of the month. For 2012, every current Bike Ambassador needs to recruit one friend, coworker, family member, neighbor or complete stranger and send them to a New Ambassador Orientation. That's one recruit per year, should be easy for all of you! Remember, these are for new ambassadors only.
Tuesday, January 24th, 7:00 PM
2599 Ontario Rd. NW
New! Bike Ambassador Orientation Tell-a-Friend! Use this tool to send an email to anyone letting them know about the next Bike Ambassador Orientation meeting.
The first-ever DC Bike Ambassadors Confident City Cycling 1 class is Saturday, January 21st at 10am. Sign up for it soon because it will be open to the general public as of this Friday (1/13). Keep your eye on WABA's education calendar below for the spring class schedule.
Tools & Resources
DC Bike Ambassador Google Group & Calendar
1. Create a google account.
2. Send an email from your google address to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Join our calendar and group (google groups are like a combination forum & listserv)
4. Interact with other Ambassadors, find events and contribute!
If you signed up to be a Bike Ambassador with a google account (gmail), you should already have received an invitation to join the calendar/group. If you didn't, start with step 2 above.
New Ambassador Tell-A-Friend
New tool for Ambassador recruitment! Bike Ambassador Orientation Tell-a-Friend! Use this tool to send an email to anyone letting them know about the next Bike Ambassador Orientation meeting.
Be an Ambassador Every Day
If you're looking for ways to help out, but find that scheduling conflicts keep you away from our BA events, here are some suggestions:
- Recruit friends/family/coworkers to ride, take a class and become WABA members.
- Sharpen your persuasion/debate skills by talking to drivers!
- Join the WABA Forum and start posting--answer questions, join rides, make friends!
- Get your office/workplace prepped for Bike to Work Day.
- Talk to your employer about setting up a bike breakfast.
- Organize bike buddies to help new commuters ride home with an experienced cyclist.
- Bring WABA in to give a brown bag Bike Commuting Seminar at your office.
- Be a bicycling role model.
Put the Bike Ambassadors to Work
Keep your eyes and ears open for any community or office events that could use a Bike Ambassador or three. We're always looking for new places to go, questions to answer and people to introduce to biking. If you know of something going on--a farmers market, a health/energy/environmental fair, a movie screening, etc.-- send an email to email@example.com and let us know!