WABA Workshop Series
WABA is proud to bring you a new opportunity to bring active, engaged bicyclists to your shop:
--The 2012 WABA Workshop Series--
Part of our mission is to provide quality bike education to the people of the Washington Area and we're offering a great new method to put our educational expertise in your shop. After a trial run of the concept this January, we're excited to be able to offer this opportunity to every shop in our service area.
About the WABA Workshop Series
The WABA Workshop Series is a chance for WABA to bring our bike educational expertise to a wider audience, and it's a chance for shops to get bike commuters in the door and demonstrate their products.
The way it works is simple. WABA provides the educational content, the presenter and outreach materials (bike maps, safety info, etc.). In exchange, bike shops provide the event space and arrange for refreshments. WABA and the shops split responsibility for advertising. The host shop pitches the class to their email list(s) and we will send it to our supporters, add it to our calendar, and feature it on our blog.
After our part of the presentation is finished, you have the opportunity to show off and demonstrate all of the gear and accessories (clothing, racks, bags, etc.) that your shop sells, giving people a chance to dive right in to the world of bike commuting.
WABA Workshops Debut
In January, The Bike Rack in DC hosted our first Workshop--a Bike Commuter Clinic that introduced cyclists to bike commuting and gave them a chance to ask questions in a comfortable environment. We encouraged bike commuters to bring their bike-curious friends, and event filled up (40 tickets) before WABA had even advertised it!
You can read all about the event on our blog.
We want you and your shop to get the most out of the WABA Workshop, so we want you to have a say in the event. The Bike Commuter Clinic is our default option, but we're happy to customize our materials to meet your needs.
We encourage you not to charge people for the Workshop.
Please contact Daniel Hoagland to discuss bringing the WABA Workshop Series to your shop. Daniel can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 202-518-0524 x200.
2012 BikeBuild Contest
Once again, we're offering you, the region's bike shops, a unique opportunity to promote your work, and support WABA. We cordially invite you to compete in the region's only custom BikeBuild contest!
About the BikeBuild Contest
The highlight of this year’s BikeFest will be premiering one-of-a-kind bicycles crafted by talented bike mechanics from all across the region. Your local bike shop will engage in a friendly competition to assemble the most creative, classy, and exceptionally unique bicycle, with the winner determined by our BikeFest participants! At the end of the event, we will auction off the bikes to benefit WABA, and the bike shop that made the most popular bike will take home a prize and the title of "The Washington Area's Best Bike Builder of 2012."
Last year’s contestants included Papillon Cycles, CityBikes, and Oasis Bike Works, who delivered three exceptionally distinct bicycles that were the talk of the town. The event wouldn't have been the same without their contributions, and we're looking to you to help make this year's BikeFest even better!
Here's what John Harpold from Papillon Cycles had to say about being a part of BikeFest:
"The BikeBuild contest was wholly beneficial in expanding our shop's comfort and relations with the bike community as a whole in the area. And also, many long time customers and new customers complimented our involvement."
Benefits of the Contest
Once you agreet o be a part of BikeFest, we'll make sure it's worth your while, putting your shop's name in front of a large group of enthusiastic bicyclists in the form of:
- Your shop name on event poster and website (200 posters, 1000 rack cards, 1250 hits/day on waba.org)
- One (1) shop-focused blog entry on Quick Release prior to the event (6000 page views per month)
- Your blog entry will also be featured on our facebook (3700 followers) and twitter (2600 followers) feeds
- One 1/6th page ad in RideOn, our quarterly newsletter (2000+ circulation)
- On-site signage to showcase your bike
- Two free tickets to Bike Fest to interact with event attendees
Due to space limitations, we must limit the number of bikes accepted to ten. Builders will be limited to a budget of $250 in purchased supplies. Material recycling is strongly encouraged! In order to promote the event and the BikeBuild contest, we must be able to photograph the bicycle and interview mechanics leading up to the event.
WABA’s Gala and silent auction has been replaced with BikeFest, our new signature fundraiser event. Last year over 200 WABA members joined us for a classy, carnival-themed celebration filled with live music, food and drink, The BikeBuild Contest, a raffle and silent auction, a photo booth, and eclectic carnival games. This year will be even bigger, better, and bike-ier, with a new venue and 400 members and supporters.
Other Forms of Support
Sponsorship opportunities are available and appreciated to bring us closer to our event goal of raising $25,000 and to continue our advocacy and education programs in the region. Sponsors of $500+ or of in-kind donations (significant auction or raffle items) will be featured on the website and in the Bike Fest program.
Please contact Nelle Pierson, Events Coordinator at WABA, by Friday, February 10th and indicate your interest in the bike build or sponsorship. Nelle can be reached at email@example.com or 202-518-0524 x202
WABA Retail Membership Partner Program
As a Membership Retail Partner, your shop will work with WABA to promote better biking throughout the Washington area and raise the profile of your business among the biking community. By selling memberships to your customers, you will receive $10 from every membership sold, as well as gain access to the tremendous exposure opportunities that WABA can provide.
How it Works
- WABA will sell membership packets to your business at our wholesale rate of $25 per membership. (Minimum five (5) per order)
- Your business sells the memberships at WABA’s regular rate of $35 per membership.
- For every WABA membership that you sell, your shop makes a $10 profit.
- When you run out of membership packets, you can always give us a call and purchase more to sell.
- We are happy to share materials discussing how to sell memberships as part of your shop business, or we can come in and provide a FREE in-store training for your employees.
How Your Shop Benefits
- For every membership you sell, your business makes $10.
- Your business can use the sale of WABA memberships to leverage the sale of your store’s stock. For example, a customer might receive 10% off the purchase of a new bike if they also purchase a WABA membership from your store.
- WABA can promote your business as a participant in selling WABA memberships, such as highlighting your shop on our website, promoting an event at your shop, or drawing attention to your business in other ways.
If you have further questions, or want more information about the program or to set-up an in-store training, please contact Greg Billing at 202-518-0524, x201, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org,